Tuesday 17 April 2012

Late-night poll: Is GPS useful on a tablet?

Transformer Prime

ASUS started sign-ups for the free GPS hardware thingy that should ease issues with location services on the Transformer Prime today. Right off the bat, I wanna say it was nice to see a company say "oops" and issue a timely fix for a hardware problem, rather than ignore it, -- or even worse -- blame the user for doing something wrong. A lot of people are giving ASUS shit for letting it get out the door with the issues, and I can't help but feel the same way, but we also need to acknowledge that they are doing the right thing. When a company does the right thing, I look their direction first the next time I'm shopping. OK, enough editorializing.

But we got to thinking. Just how useful is GPS on a tablet? Not the Galaxy Note or other mini-tablet, but a full blown 7-inch or bigger Android tablet. There's the fact that most folks have a Wifi only tablet, and you need a data signal to effectively use any navigation, but that's easy to overcome with map caching or hotspots. I think maybe the biggest obstacle is the sheer size. I know I don't have room (or desire) for a 10.1-inch Transformer Prime on my dashboard. But I'm sure many feel differently, and I'd like to know how many and why. Vote in the poll, then jump in the comments to let everyone know why you voted the way you did -- maybe you can bring something new to the discussion.

 



jesus montero

No comments:

Post a Comment